Monday, January 5, 2009

M52 Dual Mass Flywheel

SO my new year started off with a Bang!! Right when I shifted from 2nd in to 3rd. BANG! We'll find out tonight what it was. I think my dual mass flywheel became 2 single mass pieces. The fly wheel has been shaking and chattering for the last couple weeks and I was hoping to get a lightened single mass replacement. No such luck right now. I'll just have to replace the one that's in there with another M52 oe flywheel. Hopefully it's not the transmission.



Late night update.....Dropped the trans out tonight in the driveway. Found out not only is my dual mass fly wheel bad, the car stopped moving because the center broke out of the pressure plate. Wierd! I haven't seen that before, the welds that hold the splined ring that fits over the input shaft on the trans, all broke. Maybe the vibration from the fly wheel caused it to break apart. I will post a picture of it when I get the pressure plate and fly wheel off tomorow.




All righty then, one week later and the E30 is back on the road. I ended up installing a 2000 528i E39 flywheel and self adjusting clutch. The pedal feel takes a little getting used to. Its's kind of soft. I didn't install the pressure valve on the clutch slave. I may add it later this week if I end up not liking the soft pedal.

It took me so long because of a leaky injector that wouldn't seat properly into the injector rail. I had removed my intake to make it easier to get at the starter and top trans bolts. Plus I needed to fix my pinched heater hose. I broke the bottom of the #5 injector when I popped it out of the intake and the replacement injector o-ring wouldn't seat into the fuel rail properly. What a pain in the ass.




I also have a clicking in my right rear axle shaft, so later on today I will be swapping that out. I guess this engine and injection set up is just a little bit to much for some of these old E30 parts. Luckily I can do most of the work myself.

No comments: